Speeding Offences

Speeding Offence Codes: SP10/SP20/SP30/SP40/SP50/SP50

Have you been charged with a speeding offence? You might have triggered a speed camera. Alternatively, you could have been recorded by a police officer using a hand held device as having been travelling in excess of the speed limit. In either case, there are two ways in which you might be dealt with. Either by way of a fixed penalty, or by way of a court appearance.

If it is the latter the you may wish to obtain some professional help, especially with presenting your case to the Magistrates. If you wish to contest the speeding offence, then you will plead ‘Not Guilty’ and contest the evidence against you at a trial. You may wish to call your own evidence. Alternatively, if you accept that you are guilty of a speeding offence but not to the extent alleged, you can contest the actual speed in what is called a ‘Newton Hearing’. If the Court accepts your evidence, then you will be sentenced on a lower speed. Of course, if you admit to speeding offence in the way alleged by the prosecution, then you will plead ‘guilty’ and seek the limit the severity of the penalty.



Richard Wood and his team deal have successfully dealt with a range of different speeding cases. In fact, it’s one of the most frequent areas of motoring law that we work in. Click here to read one of our success stories.



“I was looking for a lawyer to mitigate on my behalf when I was charged with driving without due care and attention. Mr Wood was the only lawyer willing to have a look at my case without a fee. He then advised me to plead not guilty but I felt I did not stand a chance in court…… He explained to me that I had nothing to lose by taking it to court and that he would plead my case…… I then got acquitted and was able to keep my license. I am very grateful for the help and encouragement he gave me because without him, I would have pleaded guilty. He is very professional and will recommend him to anyone with a road traffic offence.”

SOPHIA OBEYAA DANKWA (Careless Driving; 2012).


For more testimonials, click here.


Speeding offences attract penalty points and if it is a particularly high speed then the Court will consider imposing a disqualification for the offence outright. In addition to the penalty points/driving ban the court will order you to pay speeding fines and court costs on top. The court costs and speeding fines will vary depending on your disposable income.

You may also be liable to disqualification as a ‘totter’ if you have acquired 12 penalty points in the last 3 years. The sentence for speeding will be dictated by the seriousness of the offence and your personal circumstances. However, there is a minimum 6 months disqualification as a totter unless you can successfully argue that the driving ban will result in ‘exceptional hardship’. ‘Exceptional hardship can be difficult to argue but requires evidence of extreme financial and/or personal hardship, and will require you to give evidence on oath to the court. We have an excellent success rate when arguing ‘exceptional hardship’, especially for clients running businesses for whom a licence is essential to the continued health of the business.

Go to exceptional circumstances for further details on this issue.

Each case is different, so please contact us for a free chat about your situation, without obligation.


If you need further details, or you think we can help with your situation, then please call 0800 0126039 or click here to fill out a form.